Thursday, February 3, 2011

Ways to protect your precious vintage Cards (Newcoke post 1)

Hello, this is a new segment for this blog called New Coke Posts.
I for one love to collect vintage cards. Many people like to use binders to protect their cards, but there are numerous flaws in binders. Many old cards can lose value from exposure to oxygen. Also, putting vintage cards into binders can damage them, unless they are specialy made for the year the card came from. From experience if you put 50s and early 60s cards in binders they are sometimes to large and can crease, also corners and borders can be damaged.
Sometimes collectors also choose to put their cards in simple plastic cases. This is also a bad idea. Oxygen can lip in through the top and even if the card is in a case then dropped it can still be damged. Corners are easily damged as well as borders and creases can appear.
In my opinion I think glass cases are the way to go. they prevent oxygen from entering and they prevent borders and corners from being affected. These cases also prevent creasing.

Leave suggestions in comments about what I should talk about in my next post

1 comment:

  1. I totaly agree. Thanks for the help I just started collecting cards so I really appreciate the help. Keep up these good postings. My dad buys websites and he is very interested in you guys keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete